Into the drudges of processing and calculations…dealing with designs and with rhythmic process. Outcome so far has been promising.
- 3 different cycles w 2 master designs in each = 6 primary designs
- One of the designs in each cycle is built on the same tetra-chord.
- The other 3 designs are build off a unique tetrachord for each cycle.
- The pairs in each cycle can modulate via common vertical elements.
- One of the designs is semi-octatonic and contains a myriad of secondary tetra-chord relationships making it very unique generator.
- Each design also can have 4 different permutation of orderings, allowing for greater material contrasts, as well as swaps.
Also, I’ve been exploring some generative rhythms, and ended up writing a computer function to help me find some interesting patterns for usage.
Took the first design and did some experimentation on some of the materials and ordering I found. Its been extremely interesting and new. It proved out what we can do, and gave confidence that the designs will work to produce the materials I find interesting.
This week, plan on finishing the write out of the design patterns a bit more, then start thinking in a more focused way on how to arrange these sections. It might not be the best of time spent because the form may just need to be discovered while writing the work, or at least each section, then putting it together in a massive join exercise. We will see how that goes. if I had some time, I might just compose out some proof of concepts for some of these secondary design – just to see how they sound out. I still might. Its still a bit fuzzy on how the whole reflects.
Instrumentation is still a problem – pursuing now: 2 percussion, 1 harp, 2 pianos, solo violin (or maybe string quartet), and strings. No woodwinds or brass. Electronics undecided, but could replace strings and add some extended sound masses.
In any case…feel good about the work these last few weeks, and where it will eventually end up.